Monday, August 11, 2008

Alexander's Pella






Leaving Thessaloniki to make our way east into Thrace, we went a little off course and headed west towards Pella to the birthplace of Alexander the Great. I couldn't resist the chance to see pebble mosaics that were over 2000 years old. The setting of Pella is somewhat unremarkable...flat plain loaded with commercial agriculture and with a very busy highway running right through the middle of it. It seems almost ridiculous that Alexander was born there, but the mosaics are really incredible. I love to imagine little baby Alexander crawling around drooling on them. It was difficult to resist the urge to touch the mosaics displayed in the museum or to jump over the rope to lay on the ones left in their original setting outside, but, alas, I will have to settle for making my own lovely pebble floor mosaic myself one day. Having seen my mosaics, we turned and began our meandering bike ride east towards Turkey.

No comments: